Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Portuguese Sausage Salad

     Super Yummy and fast! It's somewhere around 8-10 carbs (or less depending on what you add or subtract from what I give you) if you're counting (yes I am counting bc I have to stay under 20 a day!) That means I need to get real creative! However, I've seen the results of being mindful of my eating habits Thank You Jesus all glory to you because I definitely can't do it! 
     Personally I for me it's easier to watch my carbs than my calorie intake (that drives me NUTS!) I've also resorted to sugar free snacks =) But hopfully by the time my big Sis (personal trainer) leaves I'll loose 30 lbs that will be in total 3 weeks? I'm half way there and by no means am I starving myself!!!!!! CAAARRAAZZZAAYYYYY this girl is all about food! Just not being piggy piggy and you know when the word says "resist the devil and he shall flee..." I've had to make a mind change because I tell you those foods literally call me up on the phone sometimes! I've had to tell cupcakes get behind me Satan! LoL but seriously that is the truth! Being 31 and having shortness of breath is not good! So having to say to a plate of Twinkies, krispy kreme and Micky d's get behind me, resist and disappear and finding another alternative works for me!
     Anyway I have lost about 15 lbs I did cheat one day so it set me back but I regained my footings... You know the saying "cheaters never prosper" that is the case with losing weight. I am not doing it for the wrong reasons if you know me or seen my figure I am a Pillsbury dough lady... I am not getting any older ;) and I'm too young to be feeling the aches and pains that I do... Balance... that's my goal- but it all starts with the transforming of the spirit man which will lead to the desire of changing our minds! 

Sorry for the hallabalou here we go!

What you'll need
Lettuce ( your choice I used romaine)
Veggies (any kind) I used zucchini, Italian squash I believe it is (the yellow cucumber looking thing? LoL onion and bell pepper
Cheese (whatever you want!) Just not excessive!
Dressing optional... I used a little bit of balsamic vinegar
Spices I don't cook at all with much salt anymore especially after reading how much salt is in processed food including Portuguese sausage. A pinch of garlic power, onion powder, red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper (or any kine pepper)



Romaine lettuce per half cup it has about .2 carbs (I use the Costco salad container to gage my salad really nothing other than that!) I know if I'm overloading it or under doing it by my container hehe...

I put about a cup and a half of romaine...
1/3 cup cumber... approx anyway

Ok for the Portuguese sausage part... 
Pre-head your pot a minute in advance (makes it faster ;)
You'll need a shallow pot or frying pan
Olive oil (not a lot just a light coat on the bottom of the pot/pan
1/2 stick of Portuguese sausage (I used the aloha mild - according to the pkg it's 1 gram of carb for half a stick and you know I used that half a stick LoL)
1/2 t minced garlic (got it from costco)
1/2 t red pepper flakes (love hot stuff! optional though)
1 pinch of pepper
1 pinch of onion powder
1 pinch of garlic powder
1/3 cup of onion cut into wedges
1/2 cup of zucchini
1/2 cup of italian squash (yellow cucumber looking thing)
1/3 cup of bell peppers ( I used green and red)



If you've pre-heated your pot all you want is a little sizzle part of healthy eating is healthy cooking it's a little longer thus the heating before hand but try not to high heat cook your veggies.

Add garlic (you don't want it to burn so no high heating!)
Add red pepper flakes (gives a kick and heat is good for losing weight ;) let it sit for a half a minute... it'll allow the red pepper flakes to release its heat in the oil.
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of pepper
Let it sit for less than a min. so that all the flavors and meld together.
Add all your veggies onions, peppers, zucchini, squash and let it cook till your veggies are translucent (see through)
add Portuguese sausage and let that cook. 

In your salad bowl put your lettuce, cucumbers and drizzle a little dressing if that's what you want... than lastly the cheese at the top.
Grab your Portuguese sausage veggies and place it on top let it sit for a min get that cheese gooey! ;) 

and invite me over and lunch is served LOL KIDDING!

I hope it tastes good to you but really you can change this around to veggies that suit your tastes and likes... just make sure you've got your protein and your veggies! =)

Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment